Church Administrator Job Announcement
State Convention (All Day Event)
Union District State Congress
Vacation Bible School from 6-8pm
Union Districts Congress of Christian Education
Musicians Annual Day 8am to 3pm
National Baptist Convention (Memphis)
National Baptist Convention (Memphis)
Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.
Listen To Latest Sermons
Download Latest Sermon
Select from our library of Sermons
GSBC AT A GLANCE
The mission of Greater Second Baptist Church is to help people develop a growing relationship with Jesus The Christ.
1) We believe that Jesus is the head of the church, therefore, he tells Greater Second what to do, we don’t tell him.
2) We believe that the Bible is the Word of God, and it is our sole authority for our faith and practice.
3) We believe the only way of salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.
4) We are committed to unity, and believe the world knows we belong to Jesus because of the way we love each other.
5) We want to be and do all that we do as a church for the glory of God.
The remarkable history of Greater Second Baptist Church dates back to the year 1924. The church’s original name was Second Baptist Church, and it was established under the pastoral guidance of Rev. Gathright, who led the flock until his death in 1935. The church was located at 21st & Madison Streets. In 1935 Rev. Knox was called to pastor, and he served from 1935 until 1936. Under his leadership, the Senior Usher Board was organized in 1935. Sis. Bernice Fountain was elected the first president.more history...
What style of preaching can I expect?
Bible-based, relevant, contemporary, practical and easy to understand. We boldly proclaim the unadulterated word of God!
What is available for my child?
Children's programming is provided for birth through 5th grade at 9:30 and 11:00 services. Please arrive 15 minutes early to check your child into their classrooms. 6th-12th grade programs are available at the 11:00 service. Learn more about our Children's Ministry
What do you have for adults?
We have a full range of opportunities for adults at all stages of life to meet together on Sundays and throughout the week. to socialize, study God’s word, pray and serve together — Community Groups, Men’s and Women’s groups, Young Adults, Married Couples and Senior Adults, to name just a few. Learn more about all the Ministries we offer.
What should I wear?
We are a casual environment and welcome everyone to come as they are. On Sundays you'll find most men and women fully dressed up. While some may be fully casually dressed. Whatever the dresswear, we'll be glad to see you!
1. SOUL WINNING - "He that winneth souls is wise" --proverbs 11:30
2. discipleship - "by this all will know you are my disciples. if you have love for one another." --john 13:35
3. prayer and worship - there is nothing more important in our relationship with god than prayer and worship. Through prayer we establish a relationship with god, through worship we recognize who he is.
4. TEACHING - "teaching the word of god is of great importance and the scriptures speak to this fact in that gods word is beneficial in teaching for spiritual growth.
5. Spiritual growth - "as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word that you may grow thereby" --1 peter 2:2
6. youth ministry - "come, you children, listen to me; i will teach you the fear of the lord." --psalm 34:11
7. caring for the flock - "2 Shepherd the flock of God which is among you, serving as overseers, not by compulsion but willingly,[a] not for dishonest gain but eagerly; 3 nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock; 4 and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away." --1 peter 5:2-4 .
The Bible - We believe that the Bible is the supreme and foundational standard of faith. We believe in the inerrancy of the Scripture, that the Bible, Old and New Testaments in the original autographs, is the inspired, infallible Word of God, a complete and final written revelation of God.
2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21; Matthew 5:18; John 16:12-13
God - We believe in one personal, transcendent and holy God, the Creator of all, who is eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Deuteronomy 6:4; Matthew 28:19; John 1:1-2; 2 Corinthians 13:14; Philippians 2:6
Sin - We believe that all people are by nature and choice separated from God and responsible for their own sin. Further, we believe that God offers salvation, redemption and forgiveness freely through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Genesis 3; Romans 3:23, 5:12; 1 John 1:8; Ephesians 2:3-10
Finding your way in any new enviroment can be intimidating. That is why we have developed the New Membership Ministry with you in mind.
... see what our members are saying
Very inciteful, Pastor presented the scriptures by way of the Holy Spirit like I have never heard them before.Roderick Hunter| Minister/New Membership Counselor- GSBC
Keys to Getting Your Prayers answered is Far and away, the best message I have heard in a while. Looking forward to more inspiring messages keep up the good work Pastor.Jane Doe | GSBC Member
Praise God from whom all blessings flow. The presence of the Lord is definately in this place!Caleb | Asst, Sunday School Superintendant
What a word, God is so awesome! It is so good to know He loves me, in spite of me.Regina Taylor | Member
Copyright 2015.Greater Second Baptist Church. All Rights Reserved.